I send you best wishes as you embark on this birthing journey. My second was a VBAC and I also faced choices about birthing far from home. But your trip to the nearest VBAC hospital is much farther than I had to contemplate.
I ended up VBACing in a ban hospital. I researched the heck out of VBAC and found out the rates of any laboring woman needing an emergency c/s and the rates of uterine rupture (much smaller), and the rates of those with rupture who needed an emergency c/s (smaller still). I felt confident in the risks. And since my hospital claims to be able to handle an emergency c/s for other reasons except VBAC I knew they would be able to handle anything that was likely to happen with me, they just didn't want the liability. If I ever have another child I'm likely to try for home birth.
A 3-hour plane ride to the nearest larger hospital is fairly daunting. You have quite a decision ahead of you and I hope that you will be able to find a solution that works for you and your family and that you're comfortable with.
I also recommend visiting the ICAN website and online forum for both information and support.http://ican-online.org/http://ican-online.org/forum/index.php
Also, if you want a study on the best medical evidence between VBAC and repeat c-section, Childbirth Connection has excellent resources.http://childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10210&ClickedLink=293&area=27
Lastly, one of the most important aspects of my VBAC journey was preparing myself so that I would be OK if I did end up with another c/s and know that I did all that I could . There's only so much you can control in birthing, so I just made sure I had done my best to be as healthy as I could, exercised to keep in shape, did positioning exercises to try to avoid another posterior baby, researched so that I knew the medically necessary reasons for c/s and the unnecessary reasons, and did the hypnobabies program to help manage pain in labor and also help manage anxiety.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!